The May Court Club of Ottawa
Founded in 1898 by Lady Aberdeen, the wife of the Governor General, the May Court Club has been providing volunteer services and financial assistance to those in need in the Ottawa area.
The May Court Club is a vibrant group of women who have donated thousands of volunteer hours and millions of dollars to help those in need in the community. They operate under the direction of a Board of Directors elected by the membership at the Annual General Meeting.
The May Court Club opened its first Convalescent Home for women in 1916. In 1959, having outgrown its original facility, the May Court Club purchased the acreage on Cameron Avenue to house the club and build a one storey annex for its convalescent home. In the late 1970’s, as part of the first Palliative Care Service in Ottawa, the Club established its Palliative Care Committee at the Riverside Hospital. Volunteers provided support for the professionals and funding for three palliative care nurses was provided by the Club for three years. When the Palliative Care Unit was incorporated in the hospital on a permanent basis, funding was no longer required but the Club continued to fund post-graduate education programs for nurses in the unit and to provide volunteer support.
Faced with provincial regulations and escalating costs, in 1997, the May Court Club closed it convalescent home. The Palliative Care Committee was disbanded in 1999, but the May Court Club continued its support of palliative care by entering into a purchase of service agreement with Hospice at All Saints. The Hospice was provided rent free accommodation and a yearly monetary grant for expenses. This allowed the Hospice to expand their range of services to include residential care.
The May Court Club sees its facility used as an important part of outreach to the community. It continues to support Hospice Care Ottawa by providing the May Court Hospice building rent free, as well as a generous annual contribution which is used for expenses. Not only does the May Court Club support Hospice Care Ottawa financially, but its dedicated members volunteer at the hospice reception desk, in administrative duties and with training in its palliative care activities. The hospice has a serene home that provides compassionate care and support for individuals and their families. Now officially called “Hospice Care Ottawa May Court Site”, it continues to be a vital part of Hospice Care Ottawa.
For more information visit the May Court Club of Ottawa's website by clicking here.